Session 5: I Thirst: From Weakness to Control
The cross shows us that Jesus is weak., His body is failing and He needs help. But the paradox to this, He’s also completely in control. Whenever we feel weak and limited we try to see it from God’s point of view and see how all those limitations become opportunities for God to show us how we can trust Him, how we can depend on Him, and how He can use your frailty for His glory.
- Play: Session 5 Video
John’s gospel tells us of the 5th word that Jesus says from the cross. And it’s shocking given what John has told us about Jesus.
- One of John’s focuses is how Jesus is the source of a never-ending supply.
So it’s surprising that it’s John who tells us that Jesus says from the cross, “I am thirsty.”
- The one who has provided and provided for so many is now exhausted. His life Is being poured out. John will tell us later that after He died, Roman soldiers stabbed Him with a spear, and “blood and water flowed from His side.”
The cross shows us this. Jesus is weak. His body is failing. He needs help.
- But here’s the paradox: because He’s also completely in control.
- The passage where this story is found in John 19 begins this way: “so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, ‘I am thirsty.’”
- As in the previous session, He is fulfilling prophecy — this time from Psalm 69.
- So which is it: is Jesus weak and thirsty, or is He strong, in control? The answer, of course, is both.
Paul understood this — all the moments in his life when he was most in need is when God worked so powerfully for him and through him for others.
So here’s your exercise for this session. We do this with our students during one of their spiritual formation classes here at Ozark.
- You stand in front of a mirror. And you look at yourself, and you describe what you see — your weaknesses, your limitations — you pour it all out.
- And then, you look at yourself from God’s point-of-view, and see how all those limitations become opportunities for God to show you how you can trust Him, how you can depend on Him, and how He can use your frailty for His glory.
About NextLevel Online
The vision of Ozark Christian College is to glorify God by evangelizing the lost and edifying Christians worldwide. The mission of Ozark Christian College is to train men and women for Christian service as a degree-granting institution of biblical higher education.