Session 9: What About the Mark of the Beast? (Rev 13:16-18)
What do we do with the Mark of the Beast? Defining who you are and who you belong to.
- Play: Session 9
Legends, Lore, and Abuses
What do we do about the mark of the beast—666?
- CONCLUSION: There are as many interpretations of the Mark of the Beast as there are people.
- Was the meaning of the number clear for the people of his time or just as confusing to the original readers?
- Are we missing the forest by focusing on this one tree?
The Context of the Mark of the Beast
- The Number of its Name (Rev 13:17; 15:2)
Gematria (cf. Pompeii graffiti; Gen 14:14; Sibylline Oracles 1.324-9)
What is the solution?
- The answer is simple: “beast.”
- If the Greek word for beast—θηριον—is transliterated into Hebrew— —and the letters are added up, it equals = 666.
Why on the forehead and hands? (Deut 6:4-9; Matt 23:5)
Other references in Revelation
- Revelation 14:1—Seal on their foreheads
- Who you worship defines who you, and it should be as clear as if you had it stamped on your forehead and on your hands.
About NextLevel Online
The vision of Ozark Christian College is to glorify God by evangelizing the lost and edifying Christians worldwide. The mission of Ozark Christian College is to train men and women for Christian service as a degree-granting institution of biblical higher education.