Session 3: Close
Session 3 covers Hebrews 1 and 2 and presents a contrasting and complementary picture of Jesus.
- Play: Session 3 Video
Introduction: Read Hebrews 1 and 2 together. How do they present a contrasting and complementary picture of Jesus
The Problem: Visibility
Chapter 1 ends by reminding us that angels are “ministering spirits sent to serve those who inherit salvation.” This means that angels serve us.
Chapter 2 continues in this same thought in verse 5 by saying “It is not to angels that he has subjected the world to come, about which we are speaking.” This verse articulates Christian hope. We hope for our final salvation which will result in a restoration of what was lost all the way back in Genesis. BUT what we currently see and experience doesn’t yet match that hope as he expresses in verse 8.
The Solution: Vision
- Into this problem, Jesus has come. We do see Jesus with eyes of faith made a little lower than the angels and now crowned with glory. Even though our hope may be challenged by the things we see (our visibility), our faith tells us to fix our eyes on the victory of Jesus (our vision).
- This Jesus who has come near has now become the pioneer of our salvation (2:10).
A portrait of Jesus: Chapter 1 presents us with a big Jesus. Chapter 2 presents us with a much more intimate and close picture of Jesus.
- He is our hero bringing us to glory.
- He is our liberator freeing us from the bondage of the fear of death.
- He is our high priest making
- Look back over 2:10-18. Discuss everything that this section tells us about the nature of our relationship with Jesus.
- How does chapter 2 help us to know how to persevere in our faith? Are there situations in your life right now where your visibility is challenging your vision?
About NextLevel Online
The vision of Ozark Christian College is to glorify God by evangelizing the lost and edifying Christians worldwide. The mission of Ozark Christian College is to train men and women for Christian service as a degree-granting institution of biblical higher education.